Tuesday, January 18, 2011

15 Miles and I Got Tagged!

I had planned a long run for Sunday, but the weather was so nice that we decided to go to the zoo instead.  Monday's chill and drizzle sounded fine for a long run but not so great for running around looking at animals.  We made the right choice; here are a few highlights:

James really likes to throw rocks.






As always, the zoo was amazing.  It's a large zoo with lots of walking paths, and even on a cold winter day the animals come out to play.  Because there were very few people there, some animals were much more active and entertaining, like the polar bear and gorilla.  James is still talking about poe-bears (polar bears).

I had my long run Monday morning.  The only problem was my choice to wear shorts instead of tights, but it wasn't that bad.  I prefer shorts, and the top half of me was very well layered.  I started at a 9:05 pace and fifteen miles later had whittled that down to 8:58 in spite of black ice patches and long swaths of Greenway still covered in snow.  My legs felt good and I didn't feel hungry like last week.  I know I run better in the morning, so that really made a difference.  I think I won't do any more afternoon long runs, even though the timing is more convenient.

I cannot believe that I only have 9 weeks left before my marathon.  I have completely fallen of my original plan, but it'll be okay.  I need to get up to at least one twenty miler.  Perhaps the long runs will look like this:

  1. 16
  2. 18
  3. 14
  4. 20
  5. 14
  6. 20
  7. 16
  8. 10
  9. RACE
Or maybe it'll be like this:
  1. 16
  2. 14
  3. 18
  4. 14
  5. 20
  6. 14
  7. 16
  8. 10
  9. RACE
I'll try to figure it out this week.  The issue is not whether I'll be prepared to finish the marathon, because I know I can do that.  I just need to see if it's feasible to beat my last time and even (possibly) run a 3:40 which would qualify me for Boston.  This week's pace certainly gave me hope.


Also, wonderful runner (and pull-up diva) Abby tagged me, so today I will share seven random things about myself.

1. I love to play rugby.  I played in college and tried to play after graduation, but without a women's team in town I stopped.  I am drawn to rugby because my hand-eye coordination is really poor.  There are positions in rugby where you pretty much hit people, and I was good at that.  I played hooker (yes, I know, hehehe) for three years and then played inside and outside center, which require a little more ball handling.  I loved tackling someone and making them fly through the air, with me attached, and then landing on the ground and doing it again.  It's a brilliant game.
2. In high school my mom and I did Jazzercise together.  It was awesome.  Neither of us have a lot of dancing skills (to put it mildly), but we had a lot of fun and made a point of finding a spot in front of the one woman who invariably wore a thong leotard with tights (yes, tights) every week.
3. I like all vegetables.  Every one of 'em.  Haven't met one I don't like.
 the little one eating raw hot peppers from the garden.  yikes!

4. The first team sport I ever did was soccer at the YMCA.  Memories: my socks were so big that they went to my thighs and still had room to fold them over for an attractive contrasting color effect; my team won zero games the entire season, and the only one in which they tied was the only one I didn't attend; I taught the other defense players to do the can-can, which we did during a game at least once and may explain why we didn't win.
5. My dad and I have done two half-marathons together, although I'm pretty sure he'd put that in slightly different terms ("My daughter made me run two half-marathons").  I've already chosen our third, and it's in October, and he's not getting out of it.
6. My son is getting interested in running.  He says "Mama run!" with a big smile and likes to run, too.  I can't wait to sign him up for a kiddie race so that he can run with other tykes and get a little medal.  He also thinks Kara Goucher is cute.  Good taste, no?  
watching Mama at the Baltimore Marathon

7.  We live on a farm with chickens, goats, one sheep, a turkey, a duck, and the normal cats and dogs.  We have a big garden with fruit trees, berry bushes, and grapes.  It's a lot of fun and also a bit of work.

berries from the garden

feeding the birds

So, that's that!  I'll be tagging someone else in the next few days.  I hope you enjoyed the randomness!

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I'm so glad you seen that I tagged you. I was supposed to let you know, oops! I have been so busy with my biggest loser group at the Y and kids being off school and stuff, I have had no time to blog!!

    Your son is soooo cute, I LOVE his blonde hair!

    That is so neat that you played rugby. Two of my best friends played women's football and I was just looking at pics yesterday. I am a wimp, I could never have done that.

    When i first started teaching aerobics, thong leotards with spandex underneath were the thing to wear. That just seems SO weird to me now, lol!!!

    Wow, the farm must be a lot of work, but so worth it I bet. My parents have a big garden, I just go get stuff from them :)

    Good luck with your next 9 weeks!! You will do great. I'll have to blog about my pretty much non existent running sometime soon, ha!

    ReplyDelete