Monday, November 12, 2012

Cannonball Half Marathon Race Report (only a few weeks late...)

The Good

  • Goal! My dad beat his goal of 2:30 by more than a minute! He has trained so much this year, adding in outside, hilly running. If he'd add in lunges and squats, he'd get even faster.
  • The course- I love this course. Sure it's hilly and out-and-back, but these are the trails I train on (or at least where I used to train before getting pregnant, moving, and having a baby) and the greenway is just lovely as it goes along the lake.
  • Watermelon GU Chomps- I don't remember when I had them, but I ate two bags (four servings) during the race. Some people can get through 13.1 miles with nothing, but I need some calories to run beyond 8.  I had a Hammer Gell Espresso fifteen minutes before the race, and I had water and Gatorade at each water stop.
  • Conversation- I could talk to my dad forever, so getting the chance to chat while running for more than two hours is divine. We talked about, among other things, Nationals baseball, church, school, training plans, food, vacations, art...
The Bad
  • Droopy pants- I have these wonderful purple Brooks shorts that I adore. They have back pockets for Chomps, which I also adore. The thing is, when you put two packets of Chomps in the back pockets of the shorts, they do not actually stay up without a lot of assistance.  I had worn them on long runs before, but not weighted down with food. Oops.
  • Chaffing- Stupid real sports bras. Normally I can choose my, ahem, apparel based on softness, color, whatever. However, these days my choices are limited to the several Moving Comfort designs that double as nursing bras. They're great, but after about 10 miles, I start to get blisters along my ribcage. After about 12 miles, they start to bleed.
The Funny
  • In the past, my father has tried to get through a whole race without any cursing. He always, inevitably, fails. This time he had no such goal, made several colorful statements, and ran faster than ever. Coincidence? I doubt it...
And now for some photographs...





 After seeing us at the half-way point, the non-running family members went to a Fall Festival.




It is really difficult to get a picture in which both Bambino and Alfie are smiling and looking at the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment