Saturday, June 9, 2012

Miles for Matthew 10k Plan

Since starting my running career my senior year of high school, I have run countless 5ks, at least 6 half marathons, and 2 marathons.  In addition, I've competed in 4 or 5 triathlons, all sprint distance.  But I have never run a 10k.  Seems silly, right?  I regularly run more than 6 miles, but I've never raced it.

That will change on Saturday, September 15 when I run the Miles for Matthew 10k in Greensboro.  The Matthew in question has Duchennes Muscular Dystrophy, and the race raises money for research.  I have attempted to run it several times, but life has always intervened.  This year, I will run it.  I will.  And since it's my first 10k, no matter how slowly I run will be a PR.

I prefer to make my own training plans instead of following a pre-made one, and this is especially important because I'm coming back from having a baby.  There will be no speed work in my plan, and no specific hill repeats.  In fact, I have vowed not to focus on pace at all and just run the distances set forth.  The plan begins the third week of July, when we get back from vacation.  Sunday, July 15- Saturday, September 15.  9 weeks of training to get to where I can comfortably run 6.2 miles, preferably without stopping.

Until July 15, I will incorporate more and more runs into my week very conservatively.  I've been running once a week for three weeks.  This week, I will run twice (!!!).  I did two miles this morning and will run again by Saturday.  I'll stay at two runs/week for two or three weeks, and then I'll add on a third.

Why am I being so careful in upping my mileage?  Because Alfie is nursing full-time and I don't want to hurt my supply in any way.  I've read and researched, and most authorities say that running does not affect supply, but it still makes me nervous.  I want to make sure I'm getting enough calories for my added exercise, and that I'm hydrated enough.  Not enough calories and not enough liquids can affect supply, and running messes with both of those, you know?

So, what's the plan for the 10k on September 15?

June 24-July 14

We'll be traveling to Memphis, seeing family, and going to a wedding; then, we'll drive across Tennessee, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and New Jersey to get to the beach, where we will be lazy and hang out.  The best I can hope for is at least two runs per week and lots of walking otherwise.  I think when we get to the beach I can run three times without much fuss.

July 1-7

Three runs, including a long run of 4 miles

July 8-14

Three runs, long run of 5 miles

July 15-21

Three runs, long run of 5 miles

July 22-28

Three runs, long run of 6 miles

July 29-Aug 4

Three runs, long run of 6 miles

Aug 5-11

4 runs, long run of 4 miles

Aug 12-18

4 runs, long run of 6 miles

Aug 19-26

4 runs, long run of 7 miles

Aug 26-Sept 1

4 runs, long run of 8 miles

Sept 2-8

4 runs, long run of 9 miles

Sept 9-15

3-4 runs, including the 10k!

This is the kind of non-plan plan that has worked for me in the past.  If I make a set-in-stone calendar, I feel guilty for missing a workout and then somehow miss more workouts.  It's like I feel guilty and want to avoid running, like it's a person I have disappointed.  Strange, I know.

With this kind of plan, I have a checklist for every week and fit in the runs when I can.  I managed to run 4 or more times a week while pregnant, so I think I'll be able to fit it all in.





1 comment:

  1. I'm in for the Longport runs. My time is coming down. I may be able to keep up. Dad

    ReplyDelete