Saturday, May 26, 2012

One Month and Numbers

As of yesterday, Alfie is one month old.  She has changed so much and grown so much in just four weeks and change!  Thursday she weighed 8 pounds 10.5 ounces, up from 8 the Thursday before.  She's gained more than two pounds in a month.  Can you tell that I love numbers?

Speaking of numbers, I've been keeping up with mine but do not plan on sharing them with cyberspace any time soon.  I weigh myself once a week and even measure my waist and hips. It's way too early to worry about that, you might say, and I agree.  Weighing myself weekly is my way of not worrying, because the pounds come off naturally at this point, albeit slowly.  By seeing those weekly numbers, I know that I don't need to worry.  I'm someone who needs to see progress toward a goal.  

What is that goal right now?  I don't even know.  I know I won't get down to racing weight (let's call that x) any time soon.  When I got pregnant, I was at (x + 10).  From there, I gained 20 pounds: [(x + 10) + 20].  With me so far?  So from (x + 30), I am now at (x + 15).  The reasonable goal is to get back to (x + 10) by the end of the summer.  

I will be racing this fall, but I don't plan on being in what you'd call racing shape.  I have a half marathon in October and hopefully another in November or December, if I can find one.  Next spring I will run a full marathon, God and training willing.  Even then, I don't think I need to be back to x since Alfie will still (hopefully) be nursing.  Feeding a baby burns calories, yes, but it also requires you to keep a little extra fat around, and there's nothing wrong with that.  

I think I'm happiest at around (x + 2) to (x + 5), and it's never been hard for me to maintain, so perhaps that is the goal by spring.  I've never had to work to lose weight, and I (optimistically) think that's how it will work now.  I know that once I'm running regularly, I'll get to where I want to be.  If that doesn't happen?  I'll have to reassess. 

In running news, I ran last Saturday (1.4 miles) and haven't gone since.  Alfie's a little too small for jogging, even in her infant seat, and Jenn's been super busy at school.  My only option, then, was to run on the treadmill before she left (6:30 after 4-6 hours of broken sleep?  No thanks!) or after she got home, which just happens to be the witching hour.  From 6:00-9:00 each night, Alfie is either eating or crying, or so it seems.  And I'm tired by that time, too.  Oh well.  I plan to run tomorrow morning, still just 1-2 miles and still slow.

This month has been much more active than I imagined.  We've walked to the library or the coffee shop, had people over for dinner, gone out to dinner, school concerts, field trips, and more.  I remember staying in so much when The Bambino was born, but with a toddler and a newborn utter domesticity is not an option.

To conclude, I leave you with pictures from the last month. Enjoy!



April 25, 2012.  Still all goopy.

Alfie getting to know her best buddy Ella (the one the cat thief tried to steal and who is now an indoor cat).

The Bambino doing what he does best: being himself.  Please notice his striped socks, because they were my favorite rugby socks in college.  At least they're being put to good use.
 We are very intentional about including The Bambino in Alfie's activities.  Sure, she's boring now, but what toddler isn't interested in baths and pooping?  He helps change diapers, asking if she needs a cloth or disposable diaper.  He facilitated her first real bath, too.

First real bath.  See how much she's grown?  Big brother was a huge help.

After the bath.  'Nuff said.
 One brave thing we've been doing as a family is going to Saturday night music in Saxapahaw, about 45 minutes from us.  It's a free outdoor concert series, and we've been twice since Alfie's arrival.  We love the atmosphere, the music, and the ice cream, and she seems much happier out and about than in the house.

Alfie in her Maya Wrap, one of our favorite carriers.

The Bambino rolling down the hill.  You'd think it would wear him out, but you'd be wrong.

Taking an all-too-short rest after a roll. 

No comments:

Post a Comment