Sunday, September 26, 2010

Three Weeks Until Baltimore!

Three more weeks until my first marathon! Three more weeks of training, thinking about what to eat before, during, and after the race. I've decided what shoes to wear (Brooks Ghost) and my racing outfit is all picked out; Off n' Running top and some black and obscenely florescent yellow shorts with nice pockets.

This morning's run was amazing. I planned to do 14 miles at my average pace, but after the first two, that seemed a little boring. The temperature hovered around 65, it was cloudy, and there was even a breeze. I decided to add in five mile repeats at my half-marathon pace (8:50) @ 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 miles. Well, that turned into 6 repeats (I added one at mile 13) at 8:00-8:30 pace. It was exhilarating. Even by the end the quicker pace didn't fatigue me and my recovery miles in between weren't slow. I finished with an average pace of 8:46, a little quicker than my best half pace.

I know this doesn't mean I should aim to run 26.2 at this morning's pace. This might have been one of those rare, perfect runs that happen with no warning and no promise of a repeat. Even if it was just a fluke, it felt great.

No comments:

Post a Comment