Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pregnant and Streaking

Oops! I meant to publish this yesterday, but I fell asleep at 7:00.  So, here you go.

Saturday, January 28
First, let me say that pregnancy is not the time to up your mileage or begin training for a big goal.  I know this.  I follow this.  While it is extremely important to maintain fitness while pregnant, you've also got to be aware of the limitations and changes.

Why do I preface this post with that statement?  Well, because I've been increasing the frequency of my runs gradually since our move to the new house in December.  Since December 15, my normal week has been 4 or 5 days of running and 2 or 3 days of yoga, sometimes with a walk thrown in as well.  Am I crazy? Nope, I don't think so.  Am I harming baby Alfie?  Absolutely not; she's kicking and growing, and I'm gaining about a pound a week at this point.

When we moved in December, and I got both a neighborhood, trails, and a treadmill (I know- I am so lucky!), I knew I wanted to become the runner I've always been inside, in spite of the excuses born of a long commute and living on a country highway.  Since college, I've run three times a week, maybe four.  We've always lived on non-runnable streets, and I've always lived at least 15 minutes from work and a 10-minute drive from a park.  Before The Bambino, I fit in runs anyway.  After his arrival, my three or four runs turned into two or three.  To supplement, I used the elliptical.  As for strength, I've always enjoyed yoga, pilates, lunges and squats, and basic weights.  Briefly, I've kept in shape.  I've worked out 5 days a week or more, in some form or fashion.

When we moved in, however, the opportunities were literally on my doorstep.  I suddenly had nearly an hour more day in my day from moving close to school.  I could run from my house safely.  Then we got our treadmill for the garage, complete with a television and DVR so that I could watch Downton Abbey after The Bambino goes to sleep.  With all of these chances, how could I not run more often?  I'm a runner!  A distance runner, at that.  I like to run!   My fitness is high, my resting heart rate is low, and I'm an efficient runner.  I don't look at what I'm doing as upping mileage.  To me, I am simply converting more of my exercise time to running and less to cross-training like the elliptical.

Even with this gradual increase in my runs, this week was something new.  This week, I ran five days in a row.  I've never done that, that I can remember.  I didn't run far every day, and i certainly didn't run fast, but I ran.  By day 5, my legs were a little tired at first, but they rallied.  I didn't feel sore, or tired, or grumpy (well, more grumpy than your average 26-week pregnant mother of a toddler who also teaches high school).  I was more hungry than usual, but there's a simple and easy remedy for that: I ate more.

  • Sunday- 3 miles on the treadmill
  • Monday- ran 2 miles on the treadmill and then walked a little
  • Tuesday- ran 1 mile with my dog, who behaved admirably.  I will run with him more.
  • Wednesday- 3 miles on the treadmill.  My right foot hurt a little, but I think it was the shoes.  Mizuno is a great company, but the Creation is not for me!  Also did about 20 minutes of yoga.
  • Thursday- 2 miles in the neighborhood.  My legs were tired at the beginning, but they perked up.
So, the total running mileage is only 11.  I've run that much in five days before, maybe even pregnant, but in the past I've clumped the miles together differently, running at least 2.5 miles at a time and resting more often.  I've just rearranged the miles, that's all. 

What I learned this week is that I want to run often and that my body can take it.  I hope that, if I continue to run more days of the week, that this will translate into a nice post-baby base.  If I'm comfortable running easy 5 days in a row now, then I should be able to run 5 or 6 days a week this summer and fall and get back to my "normal" pace pretty quickly.  

Yesterday was a rest day because I didn't feel like running.  I was tired and it was the last day of the week.  Since I'm not trying to push myself beyond reason or reach some specific mileage goal every week, I simply run when I want to and not when I don't.  It's that easy.

This morning, after shopping for a dining room table, we went for a walk in the woods to take pictures.  As you can see, the results were at times touching, at times hilarious.
 Here's Baby Alfie and I.  She's certainly growing!

 The Bambino trying to get Alfie to kick him in the face...

It's the Guilford College Woods.  What better place to hug trees?


2 comments:

  1. Well don't you make for a bautiful pregnant woman! Too cute. One day, I may have to learn how to navigate pregnancy as. Runner....I'll have to follow your lead. Cheers to your growing baby!

    ReplyDelete