Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Crazy Long Road Trip, part 2

From yesterday, but I forgot to post.

We have arrived! In Longport, that is. After a great week in Memphis culminating in Jenn's sister's wedding, we drove 17 hours in two days and now have nothing at all to do for about two weeks.

First off, I survived the hot run at Shelby Farms. My first three-miler in months was hot, sticky, and ended faster than it began (an 8:55 final mile, thank you very much!). I am so glad to be getting back to normal-length runs and to paces that feel natural.

The wedding was amazing. Gorgeous. The Bambino did a fantastic job as ringbearer. Alfie made it down the aisle and then began to cry a lot, but she's a baby and that's what they do. We had a great time at the reception and left the following morning on our journey to the beach.

What have we done so far? Well, I went for a run with my dad this morning. We only did two miles, and that was enought to work out the kinks in my back, hips, and legs caused by sitting for two days while driving. The ocean breeze mitigated the heat, thank goodness.

We have also been watching the construction crew complete the demolition of the church next door, our Sunday home here at the beach for the last dozen years or so. It burned early Saturday morning in a freak storm. We are so thankful it didn't take down the house and that no one was hurt.

My plans for the week are as follows:
- Run at least ten miles, today included, by Saturday.
- Help The Bambino run his first race, the American Mile here in Longport.
- Kick booty with my mom in Spades. And we will, oh yes we will.
- Enjoy family time! This one should really be first because it is my primary goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment