Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Running and Beaching (and Eating)

We've been in Longport for ten days!  We've seen family and old friends, and we've eaten really well (but definitely too much).  Dad and I have also run a few times:
Tuesday, July 3- 2 miles
Wednesday, July 4- 2 miles (1 mile warm-up and then the mile race)
Friday, July 6- 2.5 miles
Monday, July 9- 3.75 miles + a 14-miles bike ride on the Boardwalk

I've meant to run more, but the best time to run is early in the morning and the best time to play spades is late at night.  These two truths are in constant opposition, especially since I like to get 7-8 hours of sleep.

My knee has been feeling funny since Memphis.  It hasn't gotten any worse, and the clicking is better.  Every once in a while, though, I step down and there is a sharp pain which I do not like.  When I google it (which is dangerous), I find that it could be arthritis, or my ACL, or a shredded meniscus, or countless other things.  I think it's a result of sitting and driving too much, coupled with a new pair of Birkenstocks that I wore too much without breaking in.  I will go to the running store when I get home for a more expert opinion, but in the meantime I run because it doesn't hurt when I run.  Risky? Oh, probably.  But so is eating as much food as I've been eating without some meaningful form of exercise.

This is mostly a picture post, so here are pictures:

 The church the day after the fire.

 What's left of the church today, as seen from the labyrinth.

 My oldest friend came for a visit with her husband and two daughters.  Our youngest had the same due date but are actually two weeks apart.

 The older kids, hers and mine, playing on the beach.  So cute, non?


The Bambino at a water show on the Boardwalk.  He was mesmerized!

The Bambino in his first race.  He did not run the whole way, but he really worked hard!

Here he is running his heart out.  He got lots of cheers!

 Tired boy, with medal, bib, and tee-shirt. 

As I post this, he is saying, "I want to run a race again.  A rock and roll race.  Mama, next time if there is a rock and roll race happening, can I run it?  Cause I want to win a race!"  He's caught the bug and I couldn't be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment