Thursday, December 30, 2010

Black Ice Run of Death

Today was supposed to be a tempo run, and I was excited about getting to run in the morning instead of after school.  I was going to run 4 miles at 8:00 plus a mile warm-up and cool-down.  It was going to be great.  I was going to run where I ran Tuesday, knowing therefore that the path wasn't that snowy or icy.  I had it all planned out...

... except for the fact that at 9:00 am, the temperature is below freezing and has been all night, turning Tuesday's lovely, runable slush into ice, including hard-to-see black ice.  How did I find the black ice if it's so hard to see?  The hard way, I tell you.  The hard way.

My lovely tempo run turned into 2.25 miles run with almost constant fear of falling.  I would have stopped earlier, but it's a loop in the park.  Once I figured out that it wasn't getting any better, I was too far in.  I slipped and cussed my way through the run and promptly went home to stretch with my yoga partner.  He's very helpful.

4 comments:

  1. You were smart to stop. The last time I ran outside, I felt like I was compromising form because I was being so cautious. The funny part was we stopped for water and I relaxed and THEN all of a sudden hit a big patch of black ice. I caught myself and didn't fall, but I got all tense!

    ah....I can't wait for spring! It will be here before we know it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the cutest picture EVER! I am so glad you found my blog and left such a great comment because I can tell already that I LOVE your blog and can't wait to read more. We have running, teaching, and motherhood in common so far...oh and yoga. :) Hope to read more tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!!! Cutest picture EVER!!!!

    charlieandvictoria.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, y'all! That picture is from this summer- I could not wear a tank top this time of year without freezing! James and I love to do yoga together. Even though he makes it a little less mental, he does put in a bunch of fun.
    Amanda, I'm glad I found your blog, too! We really do have a lot in common!

    ReplyDelete