Saturday, December 18, 2010

Week 2 Recap

Winter arrived early in North Carolina this year.  We missed two days of school; Thursday we couldn't even get out of the driveway!  I really wanted to go out with the running group that night, but it just wasn't meant to be.  Since we don't have a treadmill at home, my winter weather wimp workout (4W) is our elliptical.  The miles don't feel the same, of course, but it's a lot better than nothing.

Thankfully, I was able to treadmill it up Friday.  I did my tempo run in the morning, followed by lots of stretching and my feeble attempt at pull-ups.  I do not think I will ever be able to do one.  Oh well.

Today's long run was surprisingly good.  I put it off until the afternoon to let the temperature rise above freezing, but it didn't seem to help.  I ran fast and got faster by the end.  The average pace over 12 miles was 8:23- this is exactly the pace I have to run to qualify for Boston!  Holy cow!  The cold certainly motivated me to run quickly.  My legs are rather sore, but I will survive.

The next few weeks should afford ample opportunities for runs, but they may not be very long.  We leave Thursday morning for Northern Virginia to see family for Christmas.  My parents live in a great area for running, but it's hard to put down the food long enough to run.  I love Christmas.  I've signed up for the Resolution Run 5k for New Year's Day, and I'm still planning to run a sub-22:00.  My last mile today was around 7:45, and if I can run that after running 11 other miles, I should be able to make my goal if I stay consistent.

The Plan

  • Mon- 3 miles
  • Tues- 3-5 miles w/intervals
  • Wed- rest
  • Thur- 3-5 mile tempo
  • Fri- rest
  • Sat- 12 miles
  • Sun- 4 miles easy


What Really Happened

  • Mon- 3-mile treadmill hills
  • Tues- 5.5-mile elliptical (it was 24 degrees with a wind chill of 14!)
  • Wed- rest (I really should have run instead of resting.  I knew the snow and ice was coming...)
  • Thur- 5.5-mile elliptical (stupid wintry mix)
  • Fri- 5-mile tempo run (.5 warm-up, 3 miles @ 8:13, 1 mile @ 8:00, .5 cool-down)
  • Sat- 12-mile long run
  • Sun- All signs point to a 3-4 mile slow run with the dogs

2 comments:

  1. WOW! 8:23 for 12 miles! That's awesome.

    You CAN do those pull ups! You are a little thing too, so once you get the "feel" for it, you will be banging them out. A lot of it, is getting to where the form clicks. You have to find the right balance between using your back and your arms. You should buy a Jump Stretch Band too, they are soooo helpful for getting started.

    I wish we lived closer, I could help you with pull ups and you could push me on running :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, I wish you were here to help me! I think I'll keep working at it, but it will have to be a New Year's Resolution.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete