Saturday, April 23, 2011

I am a Slacker

I ran Monday, meant to run Tuesday, had a meeting Wednesday, had a visitor to the house Thursday, meant to run Friday but it was raining and I'm a wimp.  I did run today, but just 3.5 miles.  I want to run more, but life keeps getting in the way.  Every week I make plans, but some weeks( well, the majority, actually), I only run about 50% of my planned mileage.
What's confusing lately is the pace for my basic, run-three-or-four-after-school miles is going down.  My pace is now between 7:30-7:45 for regular old runs.  If I plug my 5k or marathon times into a training pace calculator, it tells me that my easy pace should be around 9:00.  So I'm faster than expected for my finish times.  What does it mean?

I think it means that if I were to actually build a good base of 25-35 miles per week, I would be a much faster runner.  35 miles sounds enormous to me right now, but in reality that's just 5 miles per day on average.  It could look like this:

  • Monday- 5
  • Tuesday- 5
  • Wednesday- 5
  • Thursday- 5 
  • Friday- rest
  • Saturday- 10
  • Sunday- rest
...or like this...
  • Monday- 5
  • Tuesday- 6
  • Wednesday- rest
  • Thursday- 6
  • Friday- 3
  • Saturday- 10
  • Sunday- 5
... but it would take more time than I'm willing to give, at least during the school year with a twenty-five minute commute.  Aiming for 25 miles would be much more doable; it could look like this...
  • Monday- 4
  • Tuesday- 6
  • Wednesday- rest
  • Thursday- 6
  • Friday- rest
  • Saturday- 9
  • Sunday- rest
...or like this...
  • Monday- 4
  • Tuesday- 5
  • Wednesday- rest
  • Thursday- 5
  • Friday- 3
  • Saturday- 8
  • Sunday- rest
...and wouldn't take much more time than I already devote.  The problem is that devotion doesn't necessarily lead to me running as planned.  This week, for instance, I planned to run Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, but it just didn't happen.  The plans are fine, but I am not getting it done.  I only have five weeks of school left, so maybe I'll make better habits this summer.  Fingers crossed... 

No comments:

Post a Comment