Sunday, April 3, 2011

What Now?

The marathon is done.  The (running) goal of the last four months, the thing that I've trained for, worried about, planned, and fretted over is no longer on the horizon.  It is finished; 100+ days' work ended in less than four hours.  This past week I had no planned workouts.  I did lots of yoga, waited to run until Friday, then ran Saturday, too, because I chose to.  It felt really good.

It felt really good, but I need to have goals.  Sure, I could run just to run, but when I don't make it a priority I find it difficult to carve out the time.

With that in mind, I have five races set between now and October:
April 23- Eggstravaganza 5k
May 21- Running of the Green 5k
June 25- Fun Fourth 10k
July 4- American Mile
October 8- Cannonball 1/2 Marathon

I want to work on speed with the 5k races and the mile, and I've never run a 10k!  As long as I finish the June race, I will PR.  That's a cool feeling.  The April race is more for fun than to set a PR.  It's the day before Easter, the prizes are chocolate, and there is a kid's race.  It also allows enough time before the May 5k to see if I'm on track to break 22:00.

My goal for April is to run at least four days per week.  I know it's possible, but it will take some time management (or a treadmill?).

No comments:

Post a Comment